Sunday 29 November 2015

White-bellied Drongo...

At 24 cm this bird is 6 to 7 cm smaller than the Black Drongo that is extremely common in the entire sub-continent, this White-bellied Drongo inhabits the entire central and south India (South of Himalayas, East of Haryana and Gujarat upto West Bengal and South upto Sri Lanka). It has a grey throat and atleast a white vent.
The juv of Black, Ashy and Crow-billed drongos may have considerable white on the abdomen but these are scalier on them and not solid white as in the white-bellied.
Though I had seen this bird off and on, I used to be always confused as I had never seen this much white belly on any bird. It is today after seeing this bird and cross referring it with 'Ripley Guide' that I am listing this as my lifer.
White-bellied Drongo

The bird was spotted in Nehru Zoological park, Hyderabad on 29 Nov 2015

2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have seen many species of Drongo but this is not one of them. Maybe one day...........

S S Cheema said...

David - I do wish you luck.